James DICKERSON’s letters to his wife Clary were written in the year 1862. Of interest are other events that happened the same year:
- The first income tax was implemented; 3% of incomes less than $600.
- Paper money called ‘greenbacks’ were issued to the United States by President Abraham Lincoln.
- The United States Mint was established by Congress in Denver CO.
- Bucharest was proclaimed the capitol of Romania.
- Julia Howe published “Battle Hymn of the Republic”.
- The U.S. Navy’s first ironclad ship was launched and in the same year their ironclad ship ‘Monitor’ sank off Cape Hatteras, N.C.
- Congress outlaws polygamy.
- Emancipation Proclamation was issued by Abraham Lincoln, freeing slaves in the U.S.
- The Battle of Antietam was fought and was the single most deadly day of the Civil War with 23,110 casualties.
- 1st pasteuriztion test completed by Louis Pasteur and Claude Bernard.
- The bowling ball was invented.